Return to Campus

Visit our FAQ website for the latest information about health and safety.

Back to Top

Hurricane Ida Relief and Resources

Immediate Assistance: 


Hardship Funds:

Loyola has a Student Hardship Fund to assist students when they need it. Students can apply for these funds at any time. We are also creating an employee hardship fund. 


If you need tarps:




Free Alerts: As New Orleans recovers from Hurricane Ida and starts to reopen, businesses want to inform you that they’re ready for customers. Sign up for for our free “Open for Business” text alerts to get updates on local grocery stores, hardware stores, furniture stores and more. Text 'OpenNOLA' to (504) 420-3409 to opt in. Please note some of the updates will be sponsored by local businesses.


Special Needs: 

If you or family members have special needs such as: 


  • Use life support systems, like oxygen, a respirator, a ventilator, dialysis, a pacemaker, or are insulin dependent
  • Have trouble walking, moving around, or have a prosthesis
  • Are blind, deaf, hard of hearing, or have trouble seeing
  • Are on dialysis
  • Have speech, developmental, or mental health disabilities
  • Use service animals


sign up for the City's Special Needs Registry. If you need assistance with registration, call 3-1-1. 


Counselor on-call

Loyola’s Counselor On-Call is available 24/7 for emotional support and mental health crises. Call 504-865-3835, press 1 at the prompt.


24 Hour Mental Health Hotline:

Set up by the Louisiana Department of Health: 1-800-256-2522


Crisis Text Line

Crisis Text Line serves anyone, in any type of crisis, providing access to free, 24/7 support via a medium people already use and trust: text.

Text HOME to 741741 to reach a Crisis Counselor


Disaster Distress Helpline 

SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.


The impact of crises may affect people in different ways. Learn how to recognize the warning signs and risk factors for emotional distress related to natural and human-caused disasters.

The Disaster Distress Helpline is open to everyone. This includes survivors of disasters; loved ones of victims; first responders; rescue, recovery, and relief workers; clergy; and parents and caregivers. You may call for yourself or on behalf of someone else.


Call or Text 1-800-985-5990


Español: Llama o envía un mensaje de texto 1-800-985-5990 presiona “2”


For Deaf and Hard of Hearing ASL Callers: Call 1-800-985-5990 from your videophone. ASL Support is available 24/7.



Healthcare resources, including free virtual care can be found here.


Ochsner Health is offering free urgent care telemedicine visits via Ochsner Anywhere Care to Louisiana and Mississippi residents who have been displaced due to Hurricane Ida through Monday, September 6. Impacted individuals can visit with a doctor on their phone, tablet or computer 24/7 by using the code IDA. One free behavioral health visit is also included with this offer with the code IDATherapy.



For Students insured by Aetna

Aetna members can speak with a doctor by phone or video 24/7 with Teladoc

  • Click here for more information 
  • Download Aetna Health app to access 24/7 Teladoc services


Resources for emotional support: 








Long term assistance and relief:


FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency)


On Aug. 30, President Joseph R. Biden approved a major disaster declaration for Louisiana to supplement state, tribal and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by Ida beginning on Aug. 26, 2021 and continuing.

Please see this helpful step-by-step guide that the University put together on applying for FEMA assistance:


FEMA disaster assistance may be available to help pay:

  • Uninsured or underinsured home repair for disaster related damage  
  • Rental assistance
  • Reimbursement for lodging expenses for those whose homes were inaccessible or uninhabitable during the storm
  • Medical expenses incurred from the disaster or other disaster related needs. 
  • A one time payment per household of $500 for immediate or critical lifesaving and life-sustaining items i.e. water, food, fuel for transportation, prescriptions etc..

There are three ways to apply for assistance:

You’ll need the following information to complete your registration

  • Social Security Number (SSN) OR the SSN of a minor child in the household who is a U.S. Citizen, Non-Citizen National or Qualified Alien
  • Annual Household Income
  • Contact information (phone number, mailing address, email address*, and the damaged home address)
  • Insurance information** (coverage, insurance company name, etc.) 
  • Bank account information (if you are eligible to receive financial assistance, the money can be deposited in your account) 

*You must provide an email address if you want to review your registration status online. If you do not provide an email address, you will be required to contact FEMA for any updates regarding your registration. 


**If you have insurance, you should file a claim with your insurance company immediately. FEMA assistance cannot aid with losses already covered by insurance.

Be sure to document all the expenses you would not have incurred if you were not affected by the storm. Save all your original receipts, and follow FEMA instructions closely.

Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP)

Disaster SNAP (DSNAP) has now been approved for Orleans Parish and many other areas affected by Hurricane Ida. 

DSNAP applications will be handled by phone and benefits cards will be mailed to approved applicants. Residents will be assigned a day, based on the first letter of their last name, to apply and be interviewed for DSNAP. Check here for the application schedule. 

What you need when you call in to apply for D-SNAP


  • A driver’s license or state-issued ID to verify your identity and residency.
  • Downloading the LA Wallet mobile app (available at or in your phone’s app store) is the easiest way to verify your identity
  • Other acceptable forms of ID include a work or school ID, ID for health benefits or another social services program, voter’s registration card, check stub, or birth certificate.
  • Proof of monthly income for each household member (for example, check stubs)—verified if possible
  • Proof of household resources (for example, checking or savings statements)—verified if possible
  • Amount of disaster-related expenses you incurred during the disaster period


If you did not pre-register before calling to apply, you also will need to be prepared to provide:


  • Name, date of birth, and Social Security Number (if applicable) for each household member, and
  • driver’s license or state-issued ID number (if applicable) for the head of household; and
  • Residential address and mailing address (if mailing address is different).


**FYI: SNAP recipients are not typically eligible for DSNAP and should not apply. In the event of a disaster, if SNAP recipients are eligible for additional benefits, those benefits will be handled through a separate process.

Here's a link with more information: What to expect in Louisiana D-SNAP and SNAP after a disaster - Louisiana Budget Project (  

Unemployment Insurance (UI Benefits)


Orleans Parish residents who have experienced unemployment due to Hurricane Ida, and are not already receiving benefits, are encouraged to file a claim by visiting


Some workers, particularly gig workers can qualify for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA), which is federal unemployment assistance. The minimum amount is determined by the federal government. It is usually approximately $108 per week. This amount can increase based on wage proof provided by the claimant. The max amount is $247.



If you rent an apartment


  • If possible, evaluate the condition of your apartment as soon as possible.  Document and photograph any damages to the property, in addition to any damages to your personal property.  
  • Advise your landlord immediately of any damage to the apartment.  Preferably, provide this notification in writing with a detailed description of the damages (and photographs, if possible).
  • Inquire with your landlord about the timing and scheduling of any repairs to mitigate any further damages and to complete any necessary repairs of damage.
  • If the property is totally lost or destroyed due to the hurricane, the lease terminates and neither party owes damages to the other.
  • If the property requires major repairs that cannot be postponed until the end of the lease, the landlord must be allowed to make those repairs.  Depending on the time, duration, extent, and nature of those repairs, you may seek an abatement of rent or dissolution of the lease.
  • If the landlord fails to make necessary repairs within a reasonable time after you have requested the repairs be done, you may make the repairs for a reasonable cost and seek immediate reimbursement for those repairs or deduct that amount from the rent owed.   
  • Read your lease to determine if there is any provision that addresses circumstances in which the property is not uninhabitable due to property damage but occupancy is precluded due to massive power outages.
  • Check out this article: Louisiana halts evictions until Sept. 24 amid Hurricane Ida recovery




  • Call your insurance agent right away to start the claim process. You do not need to assess damage first. If you have excess insurance, or umbrella coverage, then be sure to ask your agent to notify that carrier.
  • Separate the damaged and undamaged things in your home right away. If possible, do not destroy the damaged items until your claims adjuster has had an opportunity to inspect them.
  • Take close-up photographs of damaged rooms, furnishings, personal property (including vehicles), etc., especially any damaged items you cannot keep until your claims adjuster comes to inspect.
  • Make an inventory of the damaged contents in your home.
  • Record serial and model numbers of appliances and household equipment.
  • If you have prior pictures of your home, gather those to document your losses. Think creatively - you or friends and family may have taken photos at holiday gatherings or birthday parties.
  • Save receipts for things like hotels or Airbnbs that will document your living expenses while you are not living in your home.
  • Save receipts from repair, replacement or clean-up costs. Also save receipts for rented equipment and contract labor.


Legal FAQ for renters




SBA Loan Program

The Small Business Administration provides long-term, low-interest loans for uninsured, non-reimbursable losses to individuals for personal property (up to $40,000) and real property (up to $200,000).


Types of loans include:


Home and Personal Property Loans

Business Physical Disaster Loans

Economic Injury Disaster Loans

Military Reservist Economic Injury Loans


If you have damage to your home, business, or personal property, do not wait to settle your insurance claims before you fill out the form. The SBA may give you your funds sooner than your insurance company. And, FEMA and other federal programs may use the information you provide to the SBA when making their decisions about your aid.