Residency Requirement and Commuter Student Policy
Loyola requires every student to live on campus for two (2) academic years, or until attaining Junior standing. Campus residents are also required to take advantage of the many dining options on campus by carrying a meal plan.
In academic year 20-21, Loyola will not required second year/sophomores to live on campus due redesigned occupancy for the covid-19 pandemic. Sophomores should complete the Sophomore Exemption Application in their Residence account to receive a waive to live off campus.
Appeals for exemption from the residency requirement should be submitted in writing to the Office of Residential Life via the Housing Exemption Request form. Subject to review and approval, a student may be granted exemption from Loyola’s residency requirement if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Student lives with parent(s) or legal guardian in the New Orleans metropolitan area, defined as a physical address within commutable distance (approx. 25 miles) of Loyola’s campus (Refer to Loyola's Commuter Policy below for details)
- Student has previously completed two (2) years of full-time college enrollment at an accredited institution of higher education; OR student has attained Junior standing (56 earned credit-hours) at Loyola University New Orleans
- Student turns 21 years of age on or before the first day of classes for the fall term of the academic year
- Student is an honorably discharged veteran
- Student is or becomes legally married (proof of legal marriage required); OR student is or becomes the biological parent or legal guardian of a dependent child
- Student participates in student teaching, academic internship, or a special University program that requires the student to be away from the New Orleans metropolitan area for the semester or major portion thereof
- Student graduates or matriculation is formally terminated at Loyola University New Orleans
Learn more about how to apply for a Housing Exemption.
Submission of a housing exemption request does not imply nor guarantee that the request will be granted; students should assume that their request has not been granted until written confirmation is received from the Office of Residential Life.
Commuter Student Policy
The following zip codes represent the acceptable and approved commutable distance for First Year and Sophomore students at Loyola:
Ama - 70031
Arabi - 70032
Chalmette - 70043
Destrehan - 70047
Gretna - 70053, 70056
Harvey - 70058-70059
Kenner - 70062, 70065
Luling - 70070
Marrero - 70072
Meraux - 70075
Metairie - 70001-70003, 70005-70006
New Orleans - 70012-70119, 70121-70131, 70139, 70143, 70146, 70163, 70170
Saint Rose - 70087
Violet - 70092
Westwego - 70094
Students who wish to request a housing exemption and who meet the criteria for commuter status must submit a housing exemption request form with appropriate documentation by the stated deadline. Student will be notified in writing of the outcome of their request by the Director of Residential Life.