Virtual Activities & Programming
There are multiple ways to stay engaged with your fellow students, faculty, and staff. During the 2020-2021 academic year, Student Life and Ministry will host both virtual and in-person engagement opportunities, following COVID guidelines. In addition, during the 2020-2021 school year, each event occurring on campus will have a virtual component.
Pastoral Counseling and Spiritual Companioning:
Pastoral counseling is available via telephone or video conferencing with University Minister, Fr. Gregg Grovenburg, S.J. In addition, virtual spiritual companioning is available with University Ministers Laura Alexander, Heather Malveaux, Christine Johnson, and Ken Weber. Please call (504) 865-3622 or email us to schedule an appointment.
Sundays: Mass from Ignatius Chapel, 10:30 A.M. Click here to watch the 10:30 A.M. Mass!
Sundays: Mass from Holy Name, 9 P.M.
Weekday Mass from Ignatius Chapel, Monday - Friday, 12 P.M. Click here to watch the 9 P.M. and 12 P.M. Masses!
Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship "Connect" Worship Service. Click here to watch every Wednesday at 8 P.M.
CLCs, or Christian Life Communities, are small groups of 6-8 people that meet weekly to explore life and faith. Based in Ignatian Spirituality, CLCs are open to people from all faith and non-faith backgrounds looking to explore the big questions in life: Who am I? Who is God or how do I make meaning of the world? And how can I make a difference? For many students, CLCs really become like a Loyola family. There will be both in-person and fully online options for groups this year. Register for a 2020-2021 CLC between 8/21 and 9/10 Contact Laura Alexander, with questions or visit our website for more information.
When: January 31st, 2021
Register By: January 22nd, 2021
The senior retreat is an opportunity for seniors to reflect on their time at Loyola, share the excitement and anxiety that comes with being a second-semester senior, and begin to look ahead to post college life with the help of some recent alums. The retreat will include opportunities for students who are not on campus to participate virtually. Register today!
Sophomore and Junior Retreat
When: March 20th, 2021
Register By: March 12th, 2021
This day-long retreat is offered in collaboration with the Career Development Center. The day combines Ignatian spirituality and discernment (who am I, how am I gifted, and how can I use these gifts in service to the world) with career development tools to help you reflect on your post-Loyola plans in an energizing and practical way. The retreat will include opportunities for students who are not on campus to participate virtually. Contact Laura Alexander to be notified when registration opens.
When: April 9th - 10th, 2021
The Awakening Retreat encourages students to experience the love of God through community. It's a great way to connect with other students and explore your spirituality. The Spring 2021 Awakening Retreat will include opportunities for students who are not on campus to participate virtually. Please email Laura Alexander, if you are interested in being notified when registration opens in January.
Download the Corq App or log in to HowlConnect to see both virtual and in person events happening throughout the week. In addition, the University Programming Board hosts weekly virtual events. Follow the University Programming Board on Instagram (Loyno_UPB) to stay up to date with campus programming both on campus and virtual.
Interested in joining a student organization?! Search through our various student organizations in HowlConnect. On the organization's portal, the organization will detail how students can get involved virtually. Fraternity and Sorority Life is also proving opportunities to join chapters virtually. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Campus Recreation will be hosting multiple events throughout the Spring Semester that can be done virtually such as a Step Challenge (where you could win a Fitbit), a virtual 5k, Sports Trivia, and more. Make sure to create an IMLeagues.com account using your Loyola Email to stay up to date with Campus Recreation.
- Did you know Loyola University New Orleans provides all students, staff, and faculty free access to video conferencing with Zoom through your email address. This is a great way to “meet up” with your friends, classmates, and student organization members.
Are you a leader of a student organization on campus? Check out our Howl Connect guide with ways to engage your student org.
- Missing group fitness classes or going to the gym? Check out the Planet Fitness Facebook page for live-streamed daily workouts several times a day.
- Looking for additional resources for workouts, check out Fitness Blender for free at home workouts with little to no equipment needed.
- Is Yoga more your thing? Check out CorePower Yoga to keep up your practice from the comfort of your living room.
- For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, visit UCLA Health for downloadable guided meditations in both English and Spanish.
- For other mediation activities, Insight Timer has over 300 activities to choose from.
- For a list of free YMCA exercise classes, make sure to check out YMCA360!
Virtual Tours & Museums
Experience the best museums from NYC to France to Seoul in the comfort of your own home. Check out these sites to go on virtual tours of different museums and specific exhibits.
- The Louvre
- National Gallery of Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Van Gogh Museum
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
- British Museum
Check out some cool places around the world from National Parks to National Landmarks.
- Go on a virtual field trip to Ellis Island
- Take a live look at Colonial Williamsburg
- Tour England through this 360 video
- Virtually discover Yellowstone National Park and 5 other National Parks thanks to virtual reality (and Google)!
- Take a walk on the Great Wall of China
- Check out the view from Pompeii through Google Maps
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Just want a cute and cuddly distraction? Check out several different animal live cam options from watching silly sea otters and curious elephants or just mellow out to the hypnotic drifting jellyfish.
- San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Atlanta’s Zoo Panda Cam
- Georgia Aquarium
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bears
- Explore Live Cams
More Fun Things To Do!
- Lunchtime doodles with Mo Willems
- Check out the 25 Most Interesting Webcams of 2018
- Have a Netflix Party with friends while watching your favorite shows together!
- Have a long distance movie night with family and friends.
- Choose from 15 Broadway plays and musicals that you can watch on stage from home. Musical television more your thing? Check out this list of 11 Musical TV Shows to binge watch while you’re home, in between your remote classes of course!
- Create a collaborative playlist with your friends or jam out to Rita Wilson’s Quarantunes playlist.
- Need a new book to read? Check out New Orleans Public Library website for resources available to you online including ebooks, virtual newspapers, and streaming movies.
- Take up a new hobby such as making towel animals, crocheting, or choose from thousands of other tutorial videos on YouTube.
- Watch an Opera for free with the Metropolitan Opera
- Listen to a live recording from the Seattle Symphony
- Print off a free printable coloring page from the “Color Our Collections” campaign with coloring sheets from over 100 museums and libraries from around the world or choose from over 1,500 coloring pages with Just Color.
- Trivia from Home with Kahoot.it you can play trivia remotely with friends with just your cell phone! Set up a Zoom or Google Hangout to show the trivia questions and the answers will populate on your phone for you to select. You can build your own trivia questions or select from hundreds of pre-made subjects. This is a great way to destress, hang out remotely, and have fun!