Virtual Activities & Programming
Even from afar, there are multiple ways to stay engaged with your fellow students, faculty, staff, and student organizations. Beginning in Fall 2020, each event happening on campus will have a virtual component so you are able to stay connected!
Pastoral counseling available with University Minister Fr. Gregg Grovenburg, S.J. Please call (504) 865-3622 or email us to schedule an appointment.
Spiritual companioning available with University Ministers Laura Alexander, Heather Malveaux, Christine Johnson, and Ken Weber.
Sundays: Mass from Ignatius Chapel, 10:30 A.M. 9 P.M.
Week Day Mass from Ignatius Chapel, Monday - Friday, 12 P.M.
Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship "Connect" Worship Service.
CLCs: CLCs, or Christian Life Communities, are small groups of 6-8 people that meet weekly to explore life and faith. Based in Ignatian Spirituality, CLCs are open to people from all faith and non-faith backgrounds looking to explore the big questions in life: Who am I? Who is God or how do I make meaning of the world? And how can I make a difference? For many students, CLCs really become like a Loyola family. There will be both in-person and fully online options for groups this year. Register for a 2020-2021 CLC between 8/21 and 9/10 Contact Laura Alexander, with questions or visit our website for more information.
First Year Retreat: Connect meaningfully with other first year students and reflect on where you are as you begin life at Loyola. This retreat will take place during the five week period of September 10th through October 8th and is a great way to make lasting connections with your peers. You'll hear talks from upper class students and have a chance to look more deeply into how our Jesuit values relate to your life, all while having a ton of fun! One large group opening gathering will occur via zoom, and weekly small group meetings will occur with both in-person and remote options. Register by September 8, and contact Laura Alexander with questions.
Awakening: The Awakening Retreat encourages students to experience the love of God through community. It's a great way to connect with other students and explore your spirituality. This semester's Awakening Retreat will occur during the four week period of October 19 though November 13. The experience includes optional large group weekly meetings over zoom, and small group gatherings with both in-person and remote options. Register by October 15, and contact Christine Johnson with questions.
The Department of Student Life and Ministry will be hosting a Virtual Student Organization Fair on Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 from 11:30 A.M. - 2:30 P.M. and 7 P.M. - 9 P.M. Students will be able to learn about over 80+ student organizations on campus and even chat live with members of each student organization.
Follow the University Programming Board on Instagram and Facebook (@loyno_sga) to stay up to date with engagement opportunities. The University Programming Board (UPB) will offer weekly virtual programming.
Make sure to download the Corq App and log in to HowlConnect to see events happening throughout the week.
Interested in joining a student organization?!! Search through our various student organizations in HowlConnect. On the organization's portal, a statement will be written by the organization about how students can get involved virtually.
Fraternity and Sorority Life is proving opportunities to join chapters virtually. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Campus Recreation will be hosting multiple events throughout the Fall Semester that can be done virtually such as a Step Challenge (where you could win a Fitbit), a virtual 5k, an Esports League, Trick Shot Challenge, Fantasy Football, Sports Trivia, and more. Make sure to create an IMLeagues.com account using your Loyola Email to stay up to date with Campus Recreation.
- Did you know Loyola University New Orleans provides all students, staff, and faculty free access to video conferencing with Zoom through your email address. This is a great way to “meet up” with your friends, classmates, and student organization members.
Are you a leader of a student organization on campus? Check out our Howl Connect guide with ways to engage your student org.
- Missing group fitness classes or going to the gym? Check out the Planet Fitness Facebook page for live-streamed daily workouts several times a day.
- Looking for additional resources for workouts, check out Fitness Blender for free at home workouts with little to no equipment needed.
- Is Yoga more your thing? Check out CorePower Yoga to keep up your practice from the comfort of your living room.
- For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, visit UCLA Health for downloadable guided meditations in both English and Spanish.
- For other mediation activities, Insight Timer has over 300 activities to choose from.
- For a list of free YMCA exercise classes, make sure to check out YMCA360!
Virtual Tours & Museums
Experience the best museums from NYC to France to Seoul in the comfort of your own home. Check out these sites to go on virtual tours of different museums and specific exhibits.
- The Louvre
- National Gallery of Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Van Gogh Museum
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
- British Museum
Check out some cool places around the world from National Parks to National Landmarks.
- Go on a virtual field trip to Ellis Island
- Take a live look at Colonial Williamsburg
- Tour England through this 360 video
- Virtually discover Yellowstone National Park and 5 other National Parks thanks to virtual reality (and Google)!
- Take a walk on the Great Wall of China
- Check out the view from Pompeii through Google Maps
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Just want a cute and cuddly distraction? Check out several different animal live cam options from watching silly sea otters and curious elephants or just mellow out to the hypnotic drifting jellyfish.
- San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Atlanta’s Zoo Panda Cam
- Georgia Aquarium
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bears
- Explore Live Cams
More Fun Things To Do!
- Lunchtime doodles with Mo Willems
- Check out the 25 Most Interesting Webcams of 2018
- Have a Netflix Party with friends while watching your favorite shows together!
- Have a long distance movie night with family and friends.
- Choose from 15 Broadway plays and musicals that you can watch on stage from home. Musical television more your thing? Check out this list of 11 Musical TV Shows to binge watch while you’re home, in between your remote classes of course!
- Create a collaborative playlist with your friends or jam out to Rita Wilson’s Quarantunes playlist.
- Need a new book to read? Check out New Orleans Public Library website for resources available to you online including ebooks, virtual newspapers, and streaming movies.
- Take up a new hobby such as making towel animals, crocheting, or choose from thousands of other tutorial videos on YouTube.
- Watch an Opera for free with the Metropolitan Opera
- Listen to a live recording from the Seattle Symphony
- Print off a free printable coloring page from the “Color Our Collections” campaign with coloring sheets from over 100 museums and libraries from around the world or choose from over 1,500 coloring pages with Just Color.
- Trivia from Home with Kahoot.it you can play trivia remotely with friends with just your cell phone! Set up a Zoom or Google Hangout to show the trivia questions and the answers will populate on your phone for you to select. You can build your own trivia questions or select from hundreds of pre-made subjects. This is a great way to destress, hang out remotely, and have fun!