What is Anxiety?
Stress is a normal part of everyday life: many people get nervous before a big presentation or test, or in unfamiliar social situations. However, if your stress or anxiety is interfering with your functioning, you might benefit from attending our Anxiety Management Workshops, or from individual counseling.
If you experience any of the following, we can help:
- Anxiety that prevents you from going to class or attending social functions
- Fear that others are judging you, or that you are going to be rejected
- Difficulty completing assignments because of racing thoughts or avoidant behaviors
- Specific phobias: e.g. fear of crowds, elevators, dogs, or heights
- Panic attacks: feeling shaky, or that your heart is racing, or like you can’t breathe
During this time, it's normal to feel more stressed, anxious and overwhelmed. The UCC is here to help.
Our Anxiety Management Workshops meet TUESDAYS from 12:30-1:30 pm CST via Zoom. These workshops are focused on concrete skill-building, are FREE, open to all students, and no sign up is necessary.
4/7: Improving Focus and Motivation – Rachel Ziko, LMSW :
Struggling to complete your coursework? Spending hours on Netflix? Get concrete coping skills to improve focus and motivation, especially when working from home.
4/14: Progressive Muscle Relaxation– Laura Dickinson, LMSW
Take time out of your busy day to truly relax for an hour! A trained counselor will lead you through calming guided imagery and progressive muscle relaxation. You will also learn how to do this on your own. At the end of this session, you should feel relaxed, focused and ready to face your challenges.
4/21: Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction– Asia Wong, LCSW-BACS
Can't stop thinking about how life has changed? Focused on losses and struggling to make it work? Learn how to focus on the present rather than getting lost in anxiety about the future or regrets about the past. Find ways to attend to your emotions without magnifying problems, or getting lost in criticism and self-judgment.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Results from last year’s Anxiety Management Workshops
- 85 % of participants surveyed reported a reduction in overall anxiety after one workshop.
- BEFORE the workshop, the vast majority (85%) were “somewhat to overwhelmingly anxious”.
- AFTER the workshop, the majority (77%) were “little bit anxious or not anxious at all.”