Loyola requires every student to live on campus for two (2) academic years, or until attaining Junior standing. Campus residents are also required to take advantage of the many dining options on campus by carrying a meal plan.
Appeals for exemption from the residency requirement should be submitted in writing to the Office of Residential Life via the Housing Exemption Request form. Subject to review and approval, a student may be granted exemption from Loyola’s residency requirement if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Student lives with parent(s) or legal guardian in the New Orleans metropolitan area, defined as a physical address within commutable distance (approx. 25 miles) of Loyola’s campus (Refer to Loyola's Commuter Policy for details)
- Student has previously completed two (2) years of full-time college enrollment at an accredited institution of higher education; OR student has attained Junior standing (56 earned credit-hours) at Loyola University New Orleans
- Student turns 21 years of age on or before the first day of classes for the fall term of the academic year
- Student is an honorably discharged veteran
- Student is or becomes legally married (proof of legal marriage required); OR student is or becomes the biological parent or legal guardian of a dependent child
- Student participates in student teaching, academic internship, or a special University program that requires the student to be away from the New Orleans metropolitan area for the semester or major portion thereof
- Student graduates or matriculation is formally terminated at Loyola University New Orleans
Learn more about Housing Exemptions, Deadlines, and Procedures.