Cocurricular Programs

Information for Parents

The UCC offers short-term individual, couples, and group counseling for a variety of concerns. Students come in for counseling to help them with issues such as stress, depression, anxiety, academic motivation, and relationship problems.

The UCC also offers telephone or in person consultation to parents when they are concerned about their students.


Any and all information that students share with us remains confidential with very few exceptions, (e.g., when they represent a clear and present danger to themselves or others). Confidentiality is the cornerstone of the counseling process, and is a necessary ingredient for the development of trust in counseling. Confidentiality is also necessary to facilitate the success of  counseling. The UCC maintains files that are separate from other University files, and are not shared with any other office or personnel within the University. This confidentiality is safeguarded by our professional codes of conduct and by law. University officials are both cognizant of this requirement and are strict regarding our compliance with it. At times, this may pose problems when parents inquire about their son or daughter out of concern for their well-being. As professionals, we are not at liberty to disclose any information about the student or treatment if he or she is 18 years old or older, even the very fact that they may be in treatment, without the client's written permission. We instead encourage students and parents to talk directly with each other about such concerns whenever possible.

Professional Staff

You are naturally interested in the quality of care your student receives while in college. We have an interdisciplinary staff comprised of doctoral-level psychologists, a social worker, licensed counselor, and graduate level interns in the fields of counseling and social work. We also have a consulting psychiatrist who can prescribe medications to your son or daughter when appropriate.

What to do when concerned about your student

In a life threatening emergency, the counselor-on-call can be reached by calling University Police at (504) 865-3434.

For a reference on how to assist your student with emotional difficulties, read Helping Students in Distress: A Guide for Parents or Guardians »

For more information, contact us at