Grief is a very normal and often deeply painful and personal response to loss. Each individual experiences and expresses loss differently. If you begin to notice that your thoughts and feelings are interfering with day-to-day living, or if you would like to process your grief in a safe and private space, consider consulting with a mental health professional.
Individual counseling and crisis counseling
- The UCC offers free, confidential personal counseling to all enrolled students. To make an appointment, call the UCC at 504.865.3835 or visit the UCC on the second floor of the Danna Center in Room 208. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- Crisis counseling is available 24/7/365 to all enrolled students. During regular office hours, call or visit the UCC and request to make a crisis appointment. After-hours and on weekends the UCC counselor on-call can be reached by calling (504) 865-3835. Press “1” at the prompt.
- UCC counselors can also assist with providing referral information to those who would prefer to seek a bereavement counselor or group off campus.
Grief Process Group
- Thursdays, starting 09/29/2016, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. for 9 weeks (excluding Thanksgiving week)
- Call the UCC at (504) 865-3835 to enroll
University Ministry, (504) 865-3226
Women’s Resource Center, (504) 865-3083
Grief and Loss handout